What affects the life of the battery?
The battery life for Whistle 3 will vary depending on your environment and use of the product. For example, if you have a large property with limited Wi-Fi coverage & limited AT&T 3G cell coverage then you will likely have a battery life of 2-3 days. However, if your Wi-Fi covers your property and you have great cell coverage, then you could see up to 7-10 days battery life (or more) - it really depends. Additionally, frequent location updates and tracking sessions will use more battery power. Check out our video which explains how the habits of your pet can impact the battery life of your Whistle:
Below is a further breakdown and potential solutions to help improve battery life.
- Wi-Fi range. One of the great features of Whistle 3 (compared to Whistle GPS) is the ability to connect your home's Wi-Fi network instead of utilizing a base-station for power-save mode. When your pet is within range of your Wi-Fi network, Whistle assumes your pet is at Home (safe) and therefore goes into power-save mode. If you have spotty Wi-Fi or if you have a large property where your pet(s) roams (without Wi-Fi coverage), Whistle can be in/out of Wi-Fi range & trying to connect to the cellular network (see below) in order to get a location (and confirm your pet is safe) via GPS. If the device is frequently seeking a cellular connection (when not connected to Wi-Fi), this will definitely have an impact on battery life. You can see how much time your tracker spends in range of WiFi versus cellular on the Pet tab, under battery and device settings.
- Cellular reception. How good is AT&T 3G cell coverage in your area? Having limited cell reception where your Whistle is can severely impact battery life. Just like your cell phone, the more frequently Whistle attempts to find a cellular connection, the more battery is used up in the process.
- Frequently locating your pet. How often do you "Track" your pet? While this is undoubtedly the most important feature of Whistle, it also takes up the most battery. We recommend using the "Track" and "Update Location" features when your pet is truly lost & you're trying to find them.
Ways to improve battery life
- Set up additional "Places." Adding additional Places with Wi-Fi networks where your pet spends time will greatly improve battery life (as noted above: when in range of Wi-Fi the Whistle will go into power-save mode). If you travel, you can set up Places on the go to conserve battery.
- Only track your pet when they are lost. We recommend relying on our "Trips" feature to keep tabs of where you pet has been and only utilize the "Track" and "Update Location" features when you need to find your pet(s).
- Wi-Fi extenders. For pets who live on large properties with limited Wi-Fi range, we recommend adding Wi-Fi extenders so that your coverage can extend to areas where your pet spends a lot of time (for example, large yards).